Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tomorrow's the day.

Fausto Coppi won the Tour 2 times, the Giro 5 times, Milan-San Remo 3 times, Paris-Roubaix once, and Giro di Lombardia 5 times, and was world champion once to top it all off. Oh, he also set the hour record. My favorite fact about him is that he was the first person to ever win on Alpe d'Huez in 1952, and then he went on to win the race. He attacked something like 6 kilos from the summit and left Jean Robic just trying to catch him, and his ascent was still faster than Hinault's and Lemond's in '86 (though one could argue their time would've been faster had Hinault followed through on his "attacks." oh pro cycling team tensions). Regardless, I wish I could ride like Coppi:

Speaking of San Remo, it's being run Saturday. Cancellara is already out, which is unfortunate given his amazing last minute attack where he essentially time-trialed his way to victory (and no one beats Cancellara in a time trial, unless you're using CERA apparently). So, I'm going to go ahead and pick Boonen. Lance is leading Astana, but he's not a sprinter. So, unless he gets in a break that manages to survive all the way over the Poggio, I'm going to pick the sprinting Boonen. And really. This race is 186 miles long. Geez.

Now, I'll end my fanboy blurbs on pro cycling.

As for me, it was a cold(er) day in Memphis today. Fortunately, today was an easy day out on the bike. After doing one longer day Tuesday and then a gut fest ride yesterday where my heart rate was upwards of 175 for a little over an hour and tomorrow being a forever ride, today I made rules for myself that I was not allowed to shift into my big ring or let my heart rate go over 150. I kept the first rule and mostly the second. So, here's hoping that tomorrow goes all right!

No comments: